As you prepare for your field trip to EdVenture, review the following suggestions for teachers, students and chaperones:
- The museum offers free previews to teachers on a monthly basis; however, until you are able to visit, you can simply review the exhibit galleries and field trip programs online to help familiarize yourself with our facility and offerings.
- You also will want to check the Teacher’s Guide for South Carolina curriculum correlations located with the program descriptions.
Download the School and Groups Guide (2.3MB, opens in a new browser window)
- Arrive 15 minutes early for a prompt and easy check-in. We have school field trips scheduled throughout the day, and many of them are back to back. Consequently, if you arrive late, we simply cannot extend your program. We will try to accommodate your needs as best we can, but a late arrival WILL result in a shorter program or exploration.
- Please do not arrive very early or plan to stay late to explore the museum on your own.
- Please pre-plan and divide your students among chaperones (one chaperone for every seven children is our rule of thumb). By arranging beforehand, it will save you valuable experience time at the museum.
- Please review the guidelines below with students and chaperones.
For Your Students — EdVenture Etiquette
- Please remember to use inside voices and walking feet at all times.
- Please remain with your chaperones at all times while visiting the museum.
- Students must have an adult with them to use the elevator or to visit the restroom.
- Please leave all backpacks, jackets and lunches on the bus.
- Remember… No gum, food, or drinks are allowed on the exhibit floor, even if you purchased them at EdVenture. Save snacks for later.
- Help the museum staff to prepare for the next visiting group by cleaning up after yourselves.
- Have fun!
- We want chaperones to have as much fun when visiting the museum as the kids!
- Adult supervision is needed to monitor and maintain good behavior and to help facilitate the hands-on learning experience. Please stay in the exhibit areas with your group at all times.
- Get involved! Try out different exhibit components and encourage the children to do the same. Read the labels out loud to your group. Watching you play with an exhibit will encourage and stimulate the children to do the same.
- Let the students lead the way through the exhibits. Be available to assist if they need you.
- Encourage students to help put away items when they are finished.
- Dress comfortably!
- Chaperones are asked to supervise visits to EdCetera®, the EdVenture store. No more than 10 students are allowed in the store at one time.